



**AGENDA – SENATE MEETING
STUDENT GOVERNMENT
Friday, September 21, 2007
1829 Room, 1:00 P.M.**

1.) Call to Order

Meeting was called to order at 1:00 pm by the Vice President.

2.) Roll Call

President	x
Vice President	x
Finance	x
Director of Programming	
Director of Public Relations	x
Historian	x
MSO Liaison	
Rep @ Large	x
CAST	x
CIAS	
COLA	x
COS	
GCCIS	x
GLBT	x
KGCOE	
SCOB	
Women's center	x
NTID	x
NSC	
OCASA	x
RHA	x
Dr. Heath	
Collette Shaw	
ACA	
CAB	x
Global Union	
Greek Council	x
Reporter	x
WITR	x

3.) Speak to the Senate

4.) Cabinet Report

Pres: I met with Public Safety on Wednesday and they want to start something like a community watch. Met with Greek Council this week. Also went to a freshman symposium. Sasha and I will be in Washington D.C. next week. If you need anything shoot me an email. Next week I will meet with the calendar committee. There will be a new rug in the SAU and they want to put a new logo on it. Would like to hear your ideas.

NTID: I like the one with the Tiger on it. It shows what RIT is about and what we are.

PR: Where is it going?

Pres: In the SAU. Lets table this until new business.

VP: Just a reminder to say your name for historian. Asked about healthier vending, smaller portions at a discount price and longer hours. Looking into healthier vending, longer hours can not be done at Gracies. Commons are now open earlier on weekends. Asked for the SAU to be open until 2:30, but can't be done. Crossroads can't have longer weekends because they don't server enough people. The conerstore is looking to improve security around the cornerstore. Once that is established they will be open until 2 am.

RHA: The safety issue was a concern but the bigger things was that people didn't want to work later. Did he mention that?

VP: No, he didn't mention that to me. It seemed like they were going to do it.

NTID: Did they say anything about SOLs?

VP: No, I didn't not directly ask about SOLs. But if you think there is a strong need to then I will.

Rep: Traffice slows down from 7-7:30 in Gracies. If they extended the hours till about 8:30 I think they would find that it wouldn't slow down until later.

VP: He said that currently this cannot be done because of hiring problems. Maybe we can try it in the winter.

GCCIS: Make sure that we inform people that the hours have changed.

VP: I am looking for an academic senator delegate. Meet from 12-2 on Thursdays every other week. I believe you get voting privedlages but I will double check.

COS: I am free and I am interested.

VP: Looking for people to volunteer for Staff Council.

COS: I take that back I just changed my schedule.

RHA: Can go to both.

VP: Talked about senate dinners 2-3 times a quarter during all governance training. Is anyone opposed to doing this on Sunday evenings?

GLBT: It depends on what time. I have special interest house stuff then.

VP: 6 on Sundays will be senate meetings. The senators that I met with asked for more visibility. Asked to do mini press conferences. Next Friday starting at 10am until meeting you will be videotaped in the RITreat.

KGCOE: Are there other times? I have class during that time.

Drew: I am available after meeting if that works.

VP: The student survey I sent to dr. waters and dr. cooper., I haven't gotten a response back yet though.

MSO: I met with Greek Council.

Rep: Some club updates: RIT Cricket and Cycling had insufficient data. Girl's lacrosse club has been approved. The Brain Wreck Club was denied because there is already a comedy group.

GCCIS: What was the reason for marksmen club?

Rep: They do not meet the code of conduct.

Historian:

PR: I have a clipboard for senate shirts. Please write down what size shirt you would like. There are specific sizes for girls and guys shirts. Senators: I have flyers for you to put up in your display cases. If you need anything made let me know I will get them made for you. The SG flyers we make need to be distributed. This up coming Monday and Wednesday from 8-9 I have Corey (GLBT) signed up. I will have the list two weeks in advance.

COLA: Is it for both days?

PR: Yes, but if you have a conflict, we can work things out. RITchie is out of commission but he will be back for Brick City. Orange and Brown Fridays will be delayed until the weekend before Brick City. We are going to do senate portraits on Sat. Oct 20th. Sign up sheets will be at next meeting.

NTID: Do we have a location for the pictures?

PR: In will be in one of the studios in the art building.

Global Union: Do all MSO senators get shirts?

PR: Yes. Everyone who attends senate meetings gets a shirt.

Pres: Senators will be taking tickets during the Horton Speaker. You will be attending the Round table.

GCCIS: Is there a reason why we are not inviting other IT groups?

Pres: Space is the biggest issue. We are hoping that ticket sales will continue to increase.

5.) Senator Report

NTID: We are designing a new message board. We sent it to the hub and hopefully it will be ready soon. Everyone will know all the contact info.

Global Union: We have our first meeting today at 3. It is in the Clark c room. We are trying to have a collaborative event with ACA.

Women's Center: Today people from public safety came to talk to us. We were discussing problem areas on campus and they are working on improving lighting in certain areas. There should be a sidewalk around the loop in progress...they are going to check up on that.

GLBT: On the residential side it seems that the lights turn off when you walk under them. Maybe you could mention that.

Women's center: That's great. Its good to get everyone's feed back.

CAST: When they do the sidewalk, do you think they could possibly do a camera back there?

VP: There is progress on the sidewalk.

RHA: There is a mural committee. If you are interested in the murals contact me after meeting.

Cola: Mediterranean groups are trying to get the freshman together and go on a hayride around Halloween.

KGCOE: Monday 8 pm building 9 Engineering Open House

Greek Council: Mud Tug is tomorrow. Everyone should be there.

CAB: Tomorrow night is SUM 41. I hope you all got your tickets. Doors open at 7. We have Thinkfest tomorrow at 7 in Gracie's. \$3 dollars to get in.

GCCIS: Oct. 2 from 11 -2 for a bbq. I am trying to get clubs to help with cooking. Also I am working on a sweatshirt design contest. We are having a meeting this Friday at 10 am.

NTID: Where is the bbq at?

GCCIS: Between crossroads and bldg 70.

ACA: We are trying to do a Halloween party. If you have any ideas to make it a success we would love to hear it.

WITR: Had our first Dr. Deslter show. It went really well.

Reporter: If you picked up this week's issue there were only 5 rings this week. Please ask people to call in.

COS: I'm planning to make town hall meetings. Trying to work with other clubs to get the town hall meetings together. Also attended Pre med student association and told them about SG.

CAST: Got approval back to send out about the cast website I have been working on. I am also currently working on 3 different polls.

GLBT: Ally week is the 14th to the 20th. There will be safe zone training there as well. I started last week trying to put together a scholarship.

Pres: Will you offer another time for cabinet for safe zone training?

GLBT: Yes, I will try and figure something out.

6.) Committee Report

Institute Tech: We are going to look at wireless all over campus, we have email quotas, we have another system called File exchanger that we are looking into, registration, web atmosphere, looking to see if we can get music in the showers. Want to educate students on the file sharing notices. We want to alert students that RIT is on their side. If you have any ideas or concerns please let me know.

CAST: I put my name down as a member and I have lab duties. Could you please keep me involved?

Institute Tech: I got home late and wasn't able to email out the agenda. But I will in the future.

GLBT: Try to advertise the Ruckus music program.

Institute Tech: I have heard complaints about that program but we are looking in to finding a program that works well for students.

COS: Is there any option where you can send spam?

Institute Tech: Yes, if you are getting spam, forward it to spam@rit.edu. We have a good staff that works on that.

VP: SG is buying a table at the Presidents Alumnae ball. This is a formal affair. We have 10 seats we were going to raffle off the remaining 9 seats. It will be the Friday of Brick City weekend. The 6 people who want to go can go.

7.) Advisors' Reports

8.) New Business

a. Discussion on clubs

Rep: One of the first major discussions we will have this year. Please hold questions and comments until the end. This discussion is about Clubs and MSO's: General Information. See attached slides. I will open the floor for discussion. This will be tabled for a week. You will be able to think about it and discuss more next meeting.

VP: Only 7 minutes for discussion.

Discussion continues.

VP: Please think about this. We will have more discussion next meeting.

9.) Old Business

10.) Speakers

a. Finance Presentation

Mary Shading: Financial Coordinator for Center for Campus life. My main duties include a variety of things. See attached presentation.

OCASA: Do we have to renew being able to drive the van?

Kathy Hall: It might be because they have to check your DMV record.

ACA: When I went to get it renewed, they didn't charge me.

11.) Announcements and Comments

a. Horton Speaker [Mr. Steve Wozniak] 10/6: Student Round table 11 - 11:50am, Speakers Remarks 2 - 3pm, Reception 3:15 - 4:15pm

b. Dance For Your Rent 10/13: 6:30 - 8pm BBQ with SAM for Make A Wish foundation, Registration 7 - 8pm, Dancing Event 8 - 12:30am

Kathy Hall: Rep of the Attorney General would like to meet with a leader of a student organization. Wednesday 1-2 here.

NTID: Can everyone show up?

Kathy: Yes, everyone is invited. They would like to get your reactions to things.

VP: Mud tug is sat. We don't have enough ppl for a team so we will not be participating. Ed and I will be gone next week. Email Adam with reports.

CAST: Thank you for setting up a great training.

NSC: Next week there will be Pulse happy hr from 4-6. Please let me know if you would like a table. Ed, thank you for the presentation last week.

12.) Adjournment

Motion to end meeting made by RHA.

Second by GLBT.

Meeting was adjourned at 2:56pm.